Marriage Ceremonies

​Civil Ceremony in our Office

Our office conducts civil marriage ceremonies for a fee of $49.  Ceremonies are conducted weekdays at all of our office locations by a Deputy Commissioner of Civil Marriages on staff. 

You must obtain a marriage license before the ceremony can be performed. At the time of the ceremony, you must provide a witness, unless the marriage is performed using a confidential marriage license, in which case no witness is required.  If you do not have a witness, our office can provide one for $27.

  • Wedding ceremony guests is limited to 10 guests at each location. Please note that infants and children should be counted in the guest count.  
  • ​​​Call our office at (916) 874-6131 or schedule a​​n appointment online.

General Information

Laws concerning marriage ceremonies are set forth in Sections 400-426 of the Family Code. ​According to state law, the following officials who are 18 years of age or older may solemnize a marriage:

  • A priest, minister, rabbi, or authorized person of any religious denomination.
  • A judge or retired judge, commissioner of civil marriages or retired commissioner of civil marriages, commissioner or retired commissioner, or assistant commissioner of a court of record in this state.
  • A judge or magistrate who has resigned from office.
  • Any of the following judges or magistrates of the United States:
    • A justice or retired justice of the United States Supreme Court.
    • A judge or retired judge of a court of appeals, a district court, or a court created by an act of the United States Congress.
    • A judge or retired judge of a bankruptcy court or a tax court.
    • A United States magistrate or retired magistrate.
  • A Member of the Legislature  or constitutional officer of this state or a Member of Congress of the United States  who represents a district within this state, or a former Member of the Legislature or constitutional officer of this state or a former Member of Congress of the United States who represented a district within this state.
  • A person that holds or formerly held an elected office of a city, county, or city and county.
  • A city clerk of a charter city or serving in accordance with subdivision (b) of Section 36501 of the Government Code, while holding office.
  • Ships’ captains have no authority to solemnize California marriages unless they fall into one of the categories listed above.​