Transferring Ownership of Real Property

The two most common documents used to transfer ownership are the Grant Deed and Quit Claim Deed. Information and forms are available from the Sacramento County Public L​aw Library​. Blank forms may also be available at office supply stores. 


Although we cannot give legal advice, we can provide you with the requirements to make your document acceptable for recording.  When a document transferring ownership of real property is presented for recording, we will look for the following information:

  • Name(s) of the Grantor(s). Also known as the Seller(s), old owners
  • Name(s) of the Grantee(s). Also known as the Buyer(s), new owners
  • Description/identification of real property located in Sacramento County, such as lot and tract or street address
  • Assessor's Parcel Number
  • Documentary transfer​ tax declaration
  • "When recorded mail to" address
  • Mailing address for future tax statements
  • City where property located or unincorporated specified
  • Signature(s) of grantor(s)
  • Signature(s) of grantor(s) acknowledged by a notary public

In addition, a Preliminary Change of Ownership Report (Form BOE-502-A) must accompany the document. This form is available free of charge from our office or via the Assessor's website. If the form is not presented at the time of recording, an additional recording fee of $20.00 will be assessed.

Record In-Person

To record in person, visit our main office​ at: 

3636 American River Drive, Suite 110
Sacramento, CA 95864

Documents presented by 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) are recorded the same day. 

Record By Mail

Mail your documents, along with a check or money order payable to the "Sacramento County Clerk/Recorder," to:
Sacramento County Recorder
3636 American River Drive, Suite 110
Sacramento, CA 95864  


Recording fees are available from the online fee schedule